Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Plans for more analysis of Corruption in Nations
From : Parhatsathid Napatalung <email@example.com>
Sent : Monday, January 24, 2005 4:19 AM
To : Van Sloan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject : Re: FW: Bangkok photos and other 1/21 email
- Dear Van Sloan:
- I have been delighted to see you in Bangkok, and
- yes there are lot of things I want to send you about
- corruption, such as the basics of corruption,
- apparently the majority of the population, even
- politicians, law makers, and believe it or not,
- corrupt officials do not understand the underlying
- idea of corruption.
- While this is a topic people like to talk about,
- it is also a topic many do not like to go further and
- kept under wraps. It is also true that it is now a hot topic
- amongst economists, but their approach has been basically
- on looking from the point of view of "rents seeking" and
- market distortions, corruption in private sector, etc.
- They are looking from the point of view of how
- corruption effects the economy, rather than how what
- causes corruption and why is it so difficult to stop
- them and what to do about it. It is undeniable that it
- is at least 20 times more costly then all the street
- crimes combined (drugs, murders, extortion, burglary,
- etc.) but we should go further than just look at the
- effect, we should look at ways of preventing it
- shouldn't we?
- Now sociologists take a view of corruption more from
- individual crime or street gangs, while privately
- acknowledging occupational crime as most serious. So
- the point of them has been the acts or crime and
- conditions for crime, again avoiding the issue of
- cause from the point of view of economic gain and
- basic social framework by which corruption is
- perpetrated from an administrative point of view.
- Therefore the general academia tone at the moment
- is: "You politicians find ways to do something about
- it - see what effect it does?" rather than: "Here is
- the Hows and Whys and What we can do about it". My
- paper, while a simple one, will deal with the second
- more difficult attitude.
- Are there any other ideas on corruption you want me
- to submit? My female friend, Miss Pandaree Preecha
- (Tina) is off to her studies in India for Ph.D. in
- Sociology, I think she will not have much time to send
- it to you directly but basically we agree on a lot of
- issues which will be summarized in that paper I will send
- you. If you want me to send some Work-in-progress I
- will send that too.
- Have you thought of being a talk show host? You can
- easily rival Larry King.
- All the best,
Go to: Nations ranked from least to most corrupt
Go to: Causes of Corruption
Go to: Nation rankings on business competitiveness
Go to: Home page
Comments to: VanSloan@yahoo.com
The ads below are placed by Google.com - they are not necessarily endorsed by this site